April, May and June are busy months for birthdays in the Wood household; today is the turn of my lovely mum.
I don`t usually make my mum a cake but was inspired to create something bright and flowery for her after receiving these goodies.
There were 2 oranges in my fruit bowl that had passed their best so decided to make an orange infused cake, something I had never done before, so was a tad worried how it would turn out!
I used my Nan`s and Mum`s traditional sponge recipe that they had taught me...,I don`t think its a family secret, so apologise to them if it is!!!
The recipe is very simple; I need it to be simple or I muck it up!
As I said a moment ago, it is so simple....
- pre heat oven to 180 degrees for fan ovens or gas mark 6 for gas ovens
- grease or line your chosen tin, I chose a 2 lb loaf tin for this bake
- weigh your chosen amount of eggs - I tend to always use 3 eggs, this makes plenty of cake batter to make at least 24 cupcakes, 2 x 8" sandwiches, or in this case a 2lb loaf
- weigh out the same weight of the eggs for butter, sugar and self raising flour
- cream the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk till light and fluffy
- add eggs and whisk together till all eggs are incorporated into mixture
- add flour and gently fold in with wooden spoon, making sure not to mix too vigorously so to not remove all the air added by whisking. As I was making a orange infused cake I also added the grated zest of 2 oranges at this point.
- place batter into tin and put in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer placed in the centre of the cake comes out clean
Here is it before I used the Cake Angels products....not bad for a first attempt, even if I do say so myself!!!
I used Cake Angels ready made vanilla icing RRP £2 per tub and 2 packs of their 2d royal icing cake decorations in the daisy flowers design RRP £1.49 per pack
The vanilla icing was very easy to spread but can also be used in a pipping bag straight from the tub with no more preparation needed. It tastes so creamy and surprisingly light.
I hope my Mum likes her spring inspired birthday cake!!
I will be giving the ice cream cone cake kit a go in the next week or so, check back to see how they turned out!!
I was sent these products free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion and views.